Swanage & Purbeck Development Trust
Welcome to the website of the Swanage & Purbeck Development Trust. We were formed, in 2013, for the benefit of the public but particularly for the benefit of the community of Swanage and the surrounding area.
Swanage is a very attractive seaside town, located at the end of the A351, on the south east coast of Dorset. The town, originally a fishing village, flourished in the Victorian era when it became a significant quarrying port and later a seaside resort for the rich of the day. Today the town remains a very popular tourist resort with its old world charm, blue flag beach, Victorian pier, Heritage Railway and stunning landscapes included in the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site. In addition to its attractions for tourists it is also attractive as a retirement destination and for second homes. However, its popularity, location and historic nature bring with them a range of issues and challenges.
- Providing for the needs of an aging population;
- Creating opportunities for young people;
- Meeting the town’s affordable housing need;
- Providing facilities that meet the needs of both residents and visitors;
- Attracting new employment and creating business opportunities;
- Conservation and accessibility to the town’s heritage;
- Climate change, flood risk and coastal change management;
- Protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
The Trust acts as a charitable delivery vehicle, advisor and catalyst for projects identified by the Community in meeting these issues and challenges. It offers support for projects which meet the objectives of the Trust and which are financially viable and sustainable.
By working in collaboration with the Swanage Town & Community Partnership and other local based community organisations the Trust will be helping to deliver the Community Strategic Plan “Looking into the Future 2007-2027″ and the Swanage Local Plan 2015-2027.
Please use the contact page (or contacts on the Project pages) if you want to volunteer, are thinking of hiring the Centre, or want to donate goods or services. Please use the donation button on the home page if you want to make a cash donation. All very much appreciated.